User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: pre game dunk costs team a playoff game

R.I.P. Marley

pre game dunk costs team a playoff game

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=922635

This was a "teaching" moment that comes up for high school coaches from time to time.

You know, one of those, "We just got a bad break, and that's life, we have to deal with it."

Randy Perez

A shattered backboard sent Harlem to the losers bracket.
    On March 5 in Cut Bank, Mont., Isaiah Martin, a 5-foot-11 senior guard for Harlem's boys basketball team, dunked during warmups for a high school tournament game with Shelby.

There was a shower of glass as the backboard shattered.

Harlem had to forfeit the game.

According to the Montana High School Association, dunking is not allowed in pregame warmups in tournament play. If a backboard is damaged by a pregame dunk, the offending school must forfeit. The rule was put in 10 years ago.

Harlem, which had finished second in its district, forfeited the Northern Divisional game to Shelby. Harlem was dumped into the loser's bracket and won on Friday night, but on a quick turnaround Saturday morning it lost in overtime and was eliminated.

"We had that talk about life being tough and you roll with the punches and how you pick yourself up," Harlem coach Harlan Mount said. "It took a lot out of the team."

Almost a week later, you could hear the dismay in the 48-year-old Mount's voice, as if the talk and the lesson did not soothe his team's disappointment. The Wildcats had made a 168-mile trip only to be left face-down with an improbable forfeit, which goes down in the books as a 2-0 defeat.

"I was stunned," Mount said. "At first, the tournament official came to our locker room and said it would probably be a technical for breaking the backboard. Then he came back and asked me to step outside with him. It was in the rule book, in black and white.

"I thought it was harsh."

The Harlem fans made the 168-mile trip, paid for their tickets, took their seats, but did not get their money back when their team forfeited.

Mount understands a rule was broken and there are consequences, but he has other questions. There was a thunderous dunk, he said, in the game before Harlem took the floor, a dunk he heard in his team's locker room.

Did anyone inspect the backboard?

"Isaiah is a buck-fifty, maybe 160 pounds," Mount said. "Hard to believe a kid at that weight shattered a backboard. Was it already defective?"

If a backboard is broken with a dunk in a game, Mount said there is a technical called, but it is not a forfeit. He wonders why there is a difference.

Mount said he told his team no dunking in pregame warmups, but when he got to the tournament there were other teams dunking in pregame. He told his kids it was OK.

Brian Kavanagh, the coach at Cut Bank, said after Harlem forfeited that players on other teams approached the rim gingerly in pregame warmups and there were no more pregame dunks. A lesson had been learned the hard way.

Harlem finished the season 13-10. It was a good record in a rebuilding year, but the Wildcats expected better in the postseason. After all, they were the only team to beat the top seed in the division all season.

Mount is Director of the Native American Career and Technical Education Program at the Fort Belknap College. It is a tribal college, which is near the Native American reservations in north Montana - almost on the Canadian border. He is training students for real life and jobs.

His team's forfeit was just some more real-life, on-the-job training.
    [YOUTUBE]EpRfxQI3Ofg[/YOUTUBE]

Battle Record
    12-1

Re: pre game dunk costs team a playoff game

Harlem finished the season 13-10
    Wtf? Some sucky higschool team forfeited a game. So damn what. In my highschool a record like that wouldn't even get you in the playoffs. Fuck'em.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Close To The Wrath Of God Brother Blue Collar's Avatar
    Battle Record
    8-9

hmmm i was born in harlem.
    I believe i'm making some good music, please just wait for me

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/hood-society/what-you-fear-featuring-a-cas[/sc]

Battle Record
    1-1

dats a shitty record. for real

my team record wasl ike 16-2

You've Earned a Custom Title!
    Battle Record
    0-1

i just read about that shit...what I don't understand is this...

if you shatter a backboard during a game, what happens? I'm assuming they dont have the money or time to put up a new backboard immediately so how do they finish the game? IMO They shouldn't be using glass backboards

Battle Record
    38-14
    Awards 25+ Wins

lol hey better then my old highschool

Battle Record
    12-1

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptics View Post
    i just read about that shit...what I don't understand is this...

if you shatter a backboard during a game, what happens? I'm assuming they dont have the money or time to put up a new backboard immediately so how do they finish the game? IMO They shouldn't be using glass backboards
    In the article they said it was called a technical foul if it happened in a game. Read, whore.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    0-1

I did read it. My question was pertaining to what they do about the backboard, not the penalty that they charge the team with. Backboards cost money and I'm assuming they're not that easy to replace. If one gets broken...not only do you have to clean up all the glass and put a backboard in, you have to FIND a backboard. I'm assuming most highschools and colleges dont just have spare backboards laying around. I might be wrong

Battle Record
    11-9

its a rule here in indiana for all games unless theres two full size gyms on campus...big white hick on our team dunked in warmups and shattered the backboard, they just moved the game to the court the varsity girls played on.
    Coronavirus can't get me.

R.I.P. Marley

In Maryland for high school bball everyone makes the playoffs, yes even if you go 0-22 you still make it
    [YOUTUBE]EpRfxQI3Ofg[/YOUTUBE]

Battle Record
    78-5
    Awards 75+ Wins

The rule where no dunks are allowed in high school is stupid. If you can dunk, they should let you. smh
    RB OG Triple OG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Renovatio of Prometheus Fhienyx LaKaine's Avatar
    Battle Record
    3-2

Thats just wrong to forfiet a game because of a dunk, but i see the rule as ok because if the board gets broke then whats the odds of another layin around to be put up. But that holds the game up to replace it. Then again they shouldnt of been dunkin until the game just in case he hurts himself tryin to show off for the fans. Save it for the game, or the school should get better back boards.
    Dreams only lets you know you mind exist. Without it we are mearly doomed to fail if we dont imagine the success of reality.Which is the matter of opportunity meeting persistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    0-1

You don't really need to dunk in warm-ups. He's allowed to dunk in the actual game so technically he's accountable for his own actions